In 2011, Tarion formed the Consumers Advisory Council (CAC) to serve as an advisory body to the Board of Directors’ Consumer Committee (CC). Any advice and recommendations made by the CAC are forwarded to the Consumer Committee for review and consideration. The CAC represents a wide spectrum of individuals including new home buyers who have been through the Tarion warranty process, recognized consumer advocates, a chief building official, real estate lawyers, and other industry leaders and experts who have direct dealings with new home buyers and consumers.
The purpose of this council is to:
- Act as an advisory body who provides ongoing advice from a home buyer/consumer perspective on proposed Tarion policy-related matters and changes.
- Provide external expertise, and personal perspective/experience to proposed policy-related matters and changes.
- Identify topics to be considered by the Consumer Committee for potential policy discussions that would enhance consumer confidence in buying a new home, new home warranty protection, and/or benefit Ontario's new home buyer.
- Provide ongoing advice on topics for consideration brought forward by the Consumer Committee.
Call for Nominations
The Consumers Advisory Council is seeking to recruit members to add to the range of public, home buyer and consumer interests and perspectives on the Council.
Currently, the Council is seeking to appoint five new members:
- A real estate lawyer (preference will be given to those who demonstrate experience and knowledge in new home transactions)
- Chief Building official (active or retired)
- Condominium manager (preference will be given to those who have demonstrated experience in managing a condominium within its warranty coverage period)
- Two (2) new home buyers who are or have been members of a condominium board and have had experience with Tarion
Candidates who are interested in applying, are asked to please submit a letter of interest and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2018.
The letter of interest should include a statement of the applicant’s background and interests relevant to the Council, such as relevant previous work, consumer or service advocacy, or volunteerism with consumers of any or all ages, and any special interests in one or more of the technical areas.
Candidates will be selected by a Nominating Committee comprised of current CAC members.
The Consumer Advisory Council thanks all applicants; however only those selected as potential candidates will be contacted.
For more information about the Consumer Advisory Council, click here.